Fire on board a vessel either docked at port or out to sea, can develop into a serious situation, ranging from risk to human life, equipment destruction, or loss of cargo. The risk of overheated equipment, explosive event, electrical cable failure on board can cause a fire situation. Due to the compartmentalised nature and size of a vessel, this considerable risk can remain undetected for a considerable time.
Whether your vessel is used for:
- Passenger only travel,
- RORO (roll-on, roll-off) ferry,
- Oil & Gas transport
- Cargo with dust explosive potential (e.g. coal, grain),
A ship’s large engine room area being one of the potential sources of fire on-board.
However, it is very difficult to comprehensively monitor all this area plus electrical cable trays, false floors, storage areas, kitchens, corridors and so on.
Our fibre optic DTS accredited fire detection system can now do this, and provide you with early warning of the potential for fire event AND its exact location aboard your vessel.
Early warning of a potential fire is critical for evacuation of passengers and crew, targeting fire suppression systems, minimising equipment damage, and avoiding loss of valuable cargo.
Typical passenger vessel DTS and fibre cable layout.
Typical RORO DTS and fibre cable layout shown
Cover the complete deck and multiple decks with one system.
Display fire monitoring areas with ship levels
The best technical and cost-effective solution to provide TOTAL vessel coverage and EARLY warning of abnormal heat build-up around equipment, is a linear heat detector (LHD) fibre optic based system.
Our fibre optic cable distributed temperature system (DTS) provides the following key features for your vessel’s protection:
- Accredited for fire detection use (flame resistance 750°C for 2 hours, IEC 60331)
- Fibre cable is non-corrosive to survive the effects of the harsh sea environment.
- Doesn’t propagate the flame along the cable (IEC60332-3).
- 24×7 remote temperature monitoring of the whole vessel, to detect which compartments are danger areas.
- Provides the actual location of the fire, to remote monitoring control rooms.
- It provides early warning of heat before a flame occurs.
- Can be installed in harsh environments (stainless steel cable sheath with high crush resistance).
- Is immune to EMI (electromagnetic interference).
- Requires no maintenance, after it is installed.